1 small to medium head of red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced into half moons
1 red apple cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium low and add onions. Caramelize onions until golden brown and tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add red cabbage and mix with onions and garlic.
- Add apple cider vinegar and brown sugar mix and cover.
- Braise cabbage for 20 minutes.
- Add apples and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.